Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Storytelling for Week 7- The Statue of Sita

I have seen many things in my life. I have been to many kingdoms and been to many distant lands. I have been in secret meetings, war plans, and been the confidant to many kings. I have seen many people come and go. I am the Statute of Sita and this is my story.

Many moons ago I once stood proudly next to Rama, the greatest king to ever live. I followed him everywhere. I was his ever constant companion. I never left his side. After losing his wife I stayed with him until his passing. After Rama had passed on, the ruler displayed me next to his throne so that everyone might remember Rama. Sadly though more and more people began to forget who Rama was.

I became a statue that no one knew or appreciated. I was left there in the dark until the raiders came. These people had defeated the current ruler and his armies. I was about to be destroyed when the leader came in and saw me. He said I was the most beautiful thing he had ever laid eyes on. He took me away from the palace and placed me in his own. I was put on display for all his subjects to see. People came from miles around to see me. People left offerings at my feet hoping that I would communicate to their gods about their problems. It was strange being so far away from Rama’s palace. I missed all the familiar sights, but this new palace was beautiful in it’s own way. There were fountains everywhere, gardens, and trees as far as I could see. The king would come in at all hours of the day and talk with me. He told me of his fears, his dreams, and his desires. He wanted to unite the region under his rule. Sadly his dream did not come to reality. He was assassinated before he could make it happen.

After his death began the process of changing hands of many different kings. I have been around the world more times than I can count. I have had people admire me, and I have had people hate me. I am now in the British History Museum, where I am finally happy. I am around the images of Rama and his great adventures. I am admired daily by hundreds of people who come to visit. I am the Statue of Sita and this is my story.


Author’s Note- I decided to follow the story prompt this week and write about the Statue of Sita. I thought this would be a great story to tell. I can just imagine the things that statue would have seen changing hands of all those kings. Since the book doesn’t give any information about what happened to the statue I decided I would make up my own history for it.

Bibliography- Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way.




Rama and Sita. Source

2 comments:

  1. This was an interesting story to read! I did not continue to read The Ramayana, so I enjoyed reading a story based off of it. I definitely agree that a statue would see many things. I think you did a great job of describing how Sita's statue was feeling. I think it would definitely feel better surrounded by things that reminded it of Rama. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool story Shane! I liked how you personified the statue of Sita. This brought a cool dynamic of a story that I never thought of before. I didn’t read further into Buck’s version of the Ramayana, but I like the way you told the story regardless. It felt like I was put in the shoes of Sita’s statue as we watched her just get traded away or dumped throughout her timeline.

    ReplyDelete