Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Storytelling for Week 6: Hanuman the cat

Being in cat form was quite an experience. Objects that were once small when I was human size now seem suddenly massive. As I passed a by the wall to the city, I was shocked to see how massive it was. It seemed to stretch from all the way to the heavens.

As I continued to wander around the city I began to smell things that I didn’t think were possible. The first thing I noticed was the smell of demons. I had began to smell this distinct odor long before I made it into the city, but I had no clue as to what the smell could be. I finally discovered that it was a demon when I rounded the corner of a house and there was a demon standing at a door. The smell almost made me throw up hairballs. The best smell I could find in the city was the smell of mice. Since I became a cat there were certain parts of my mind that thought like a cat. It was a small part, but once I smelled the mice that part of my mind became dominant. I struggled to rein this part of my mind back under my control. I was able to do it, but the cat part of my mind fought quite hard. This is the downside to morphing into other animals. When I morph a part of that animal’s mind is there the whole time I am that animal. If that animal mind is able to take dominance for too long, I will become that animal forever.

The best part about this whole experience of being a cat was the sense of wonder I felt when I was in Lanka. Even though Lanka is infested with demons, it is still a gorgeous city. I couldn’t imagine a more beautiful city if I tried. The house are all made out of a glorious stone that reflects the sun’s brilliant light. The gardens are filled with the most beautiful flowers you have ever seen! At night when all the lights are on in the houses it seems as though the moon and stars are revolving around Lanka. In all my years on this earth I have never seen a more beautiful city then this one.

I wonder if I was in original form would I still think that all of these things? I would hope so, but maybe sometimes you need a different perspective to appreciate the beauty around you.

The beautiful city of Lanka. Source



Author’s Note- I decided I wanted to tell what Hanuman saw when he was a cat. Since the architect of heaven designed the city original I thought that the city had to be amazing. I thought since Hanuman didn’t have to worry too much about the demons trying to kill him, he could appreciate the beauty of the city.

Biblography-Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way.



3 comments:

  1. I liked how you gave insight to what Hanuman saw and felt while being a cat. I was hooked as soon as you started describing his experiences with objects being more massive and looming as a cat. I also thought the part of his cat mind trying to take over his monkey mind was a very cool twist. It was definitely not something I had thought about. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane,
    I wrote about Hanuman being a cat in my story as well. I liked how you talked about how things were totally different from the view of a cat. I hadn’t even thought of that because you are seeing things from a total different view and they would have to feel much bigger than they would originally. Although, my favorite part was where you talked about Hanuman smelling different things it was really as it I smelled the different things and I was really in the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane,
    I really like this story! It is definitely different reading a story from the view of a cat. I think that you did a great job describing the experience and how it was different than being a human. The part where you talked about the smell almost making him throw up hairballs was hilarious! I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete