Saturday, January 31, 2015

Possible Styles for Storybook

For my storybook I have decided to write about the avatars of Vishnu. For my storybook I am going to use the avatars Rama, Vamana, Parashrama, and Mohini. From reading the legends on Wikipedia and doing some additional searches, these seemed to interest me the most. I wanted to add a strong female character in my storybook and Mohini is the perfect choice for that strong female character. I am going to include my character from my first storybook in the myths and folklore class. I am excited to have a demigod and the avatars of Vishnu work together to save the world.

I am definitely have the story of Rama and Ravana in my storybook. Since we have already read Ramayana, I plan on having the battle between Rama and Ravana be a story in my storybook. I hope to have some of the side characters in Ramayana, such as Hanuman. Also I would like to use the story of Mohini, the enchantress, where she is able to trick the demon into turning himself into ash. The story of Vamana could possible be used in my storybook. Vamana is able to defeat a king by tricking him. The last story I could possible use is the story of Parashrama. He kills the evil king who killed his father.


Mohini and Bhasmasura- Source




Quest, Mysteries, and Adventures- This is a really easy choice for my storybook because my storybook is going to center around the adventures of the avatars of Vishnu. I really like the idea of having modern day avatars go through similar adventures that their older selves went through but with a modern twist.

Mentor, “Sage”, as Narrator-I think it would be really cool to have my original character be a mentor to the modern day avatars. Being on these adventures would allow my original character to write these stories down, as to be a guide for future avatars that may not know exactly what they need to do to save the world.

Magical Books and Manuscripts- I really like the idea of having the avatars try and find the Book of Vishnu. If they are able to acquire these manuscripts they will be able to learn the secrets of how their past selves defeated their mortal enemies. This idea is very similar to the quest and adventures style.

Time Travel- Since I am a huge sci-fi nerd it would be really fun to have a storybook involving time travel. I would love to have a storybook similar to the storyline of Doctor Who. It would be cool to be able to time travel to when the original avatars were committing all these great feats! The Doctor always needs a companion so why not have a few who wanted to travel back and see the avatars first hand?

Bibliography

Story for Rama. Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic.
Story for Vamana- Online Source
Story for Parashrama- Online Source

Story for Mohini- Online Source

No comments:

Post a Comment